All old Delco radio cassette players turn into chipmunks one day. Most persons replace them for modern-day car radios, but why?
For only 10 euro and some time you can use your smartphone on your old-school Delco Radio.
It is very easy and cheap to transform them into a modern radio with 3-pole 3.5mm Jack, or Bluetooth, or even into a carkit.
Here is how you change your Old Delco cassette into a modern radio/carkit.
Finding the correct wires
- The first step safe your old cassette tape and make it eternal.
How you make it eternal? Just remove the recording tape.
- Remove your OLD/RETRO Delco Radio/Cassette player from your Chevrolet Beretta or Corsica.
- Remove the bottom plate of the radio. (3 screws)
- Now you can remove the cassette part of the radio (4 screws)
- You can now see the 5 wires connection.
We need to be sure witch 2 wires are for the 12v power and witch are for the sound.
- So we need to connect the radio with the car again. Put a cassette tape in it and play it! If you do not like the music turn the volume down.
- Use a digital multimeter to make measurements for the voltage of all the 5 wires and make a note of it.
- There are 2 wires that have around 12 volts,
2 wires that have around 4.5 volts and
1 that is a bit above zero volts.
- If you have different then measure again. If still the same you’re doomed 😉
- The 2 wires with +/- 12 volts are needed for the cassette workings. Let them be.
- The 2 wires with +/- 4.5 volts are the left and right fo your speakers. We need those in normale audio White is left and red is right. But you’re driving a Beretta so could be otherwise.
- There is now one wire left, that’s the one with the lowest volts. That’s your sound ground wire for left and right.
- You can mark all the wires with a small sticker or something else, YOU are in charge.
- When you are done with the solder options below mount back the cassete-player and the bottom plate.
- The wires you organize the way you want. Because you are the boss. 😆
Connection with your phone with a simple 3-pole 3.5mm Jack.
- There are 2 ways a cable from your radio or a more sexy way.
- Solder 3 wires the 3-pole 3.5mm Jack (male). Connect left, right, and sound ground correctly.
- Place the radio back in your Chevrolet Beretta and place the wires as you want.
- To use your phone just insert the Eternity cassette tape into the DELCO car radio. When you wanna listen to the radio eject the cassette.
- Solder 3 wires the 3-pole 3.5mm Connection (FEMALE). Connect left, right, and sound ground correctly.
- Place the radio back in your Chevrolet Beretta and place the female connection where you like it.
- Use a 3.5mm 2 ways Jack wire between your radio connection and your phone.
- To use your phone just insert the Eternity cassette tape into the DELCO radio. When you wanna listen to the radio eject the cassette.
Connect Your DELCO radio with your phone by Bluetooth.
- Buy a Car AUX Audio BT Adapter with a microphone somewhere.
I bought it on Amazon the Netherlands for less the 10 euro.
- Please read the info delivered with the Car AUX Audio BT Adapter with a microphone.
- Solder the 3 audio wires correctly. Connect left, right, and sound ground correctly. If you ordered with microphone connect that as written.
- Solder the 12volt wires + and – correctly with your car as written.
- If possible you might be able to put the BlueTooth device is a space in your radio/cassette.
- Place the radio back in your Chevrolet Beretta/Corsica.
- To use your DELCO radio/cassette player as a carkit , just insert the Eternity cassette tape into the radio. When you wanna listen to the radio eject the cassette.
Some pictures of this journey from idea, startup into the final installation.
I just ordered the BlueTooth adapter from amazon. (23rd of August 2020)